Saturday, October 1, 2011

The 15th Lake

Homecoming is Oct. 7th and my entire life for the past month has been dedicated to coordinating our show. Stepping (or if you're a part of my fraternity hopping) is a choreographed style of dancing typically seen in the African American Greek community. If you've seen Stomp The Yard, you've seen a very basic representation of stepping.

If you're in the Tuscaloosa area I'd recommend coming to see the show. Even if stepping doesn't interest you you'll have the chance to see a show I personally brought together. You won't be disappointed.

Besides the step show, I've also been handling new types of cameras. I believe a good photographer or  cinematographer has the ability to pick up any type of camera, camcorder, dslr, etc, and make something spectacular.

Yea, there is a certain limit on any piece of equipment's ability, but this is when talent and technique should come into play.

I decided to shoot a time lapse around Forest Lake. This is the lake near 15th Street in Tuscaloosa, AL where the storm crossed over. It's been a recurring theme in all of my work dealing with the Tuscaloosa Tornado. After riding by the area one day and watching the sun set I knew I had to get out there.

Shooting took around four days. I filmed with a Sony HDV, edited in FCP, and graded in Apple Color. The music is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

Using the HDV was a huge step a large step away from my DSLR, but I wanted to prove to myself I could create a powerful piece of work even when I'm outside of my element.


Click on the thumbnails below to check out some of the pictures from around Forest Lake the day after the tornado.
IMG_9295IMG_9348IMG_9407IMG_9421IMG_9433Down and Under

You can also check it out the video on Youtube. I'm always looking for new followers and interesting people on twitter as well as tumblr.



1 comment:

  1. Loving the new look of everything my man. Always find ways to work out of your element never stay comfortable. Its the only way to get better :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS