Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Fruits of Labor

It feels as if everything is coming to fruition.

Passion is something drives you to become good in your field of expertise whether or not you gain recognition. Your path is fueled by motivation and goals rather than the excessive nature of the spotlight.

Still, no one ever said it isn't nice to be recognized for your accomplishments,























This past week I've had the privilege of being featured in an abundance of areas, each of them reflecting the time and effort I've put into this blog, my work, and future aspirations.

The first one directly from my school, The University of Alabama. Entitled, A Well-Scripted Life, the feature comes up on the main page of the university's official webpage. The entire article (along with the pictures) has been a semester long project with staff at The University. I first sat down with writer, Katie Breaseale, to talk about the work I've done so far as well as what I'm planning to do with myself in the future. Mid-way, I had a mini-photo session with photographer Samantha Nandez, whose work honestly speaks for itself. Finally, at the end of a wait that seemed forever I had the news of the article coming out from one of my friends calling me and saying my pearly white teeth were sparkling all over the UA's webpage. The piece not only explained my drive and ambition for working on this blog, but even featured my short film, Bottom of a Glass, in the interview as well.  Check out a quick excerpt from the piece. I assumed this would be the only (and best) news of the day, but I was proven quite wrong. 
"If there was a script of Xavier Burgin's life, it could not have been laid out better.
Not everyone is lucky enough to build a major around their hobby. Burgin, a junior from Columbus, Miss., did just that through New College at The University of Alabama.
A film production major with a triple minor in French, liberal arts and telecommunications and film, Burgin is following his passion of film and art and making those hobbies a way of life."

You can read the rest of it here

I assumed this would be the only (and best) news of the day, but I was proven quite wrong. 



A few weeks ago website, TheNuBlack, featured my short film, Me and Mrs. Jones, as a gesture of interest in Que The Lights.  The Nu Black then came back and wrote a full article on my work as well as personally allowing me to explain my motivation and present previous work I've done. Here is a small excerpt from the post. 

"One of the quotes people love to say about someone they don’t like is “Just wait till they get out of high school.” Individuals love to visualize others doing nothing with their lives if they have something against them. I’m sure people have said this about me, but no one can ever validate the claim. I refuse to be another individual’s passing memory as they climb up towards success. That’s why I sacrifice to ensure my future is the talk of present, instead of someone’s faded recollection."
The Nu Black has been a big supporter of Que The Lights and their willingness to showcase my work only further leads me to believe I must be following the right path.  

Check out the two newest articles on Que The Lights here and here

Finally, but by no means the least important, I was informed that Bottom of a Glass was accepted into the Alabama International Film Festival in Troy, Alabama and would be screening in the next upcoming month. 

This gives Bottom of a Glass four accolades to its name. It won Best Drama at Campus Moviefest and as well as being a semin-finalist in the Rethink Possible Award. Bottom of a Glass was accepted to the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner . This is just a great honor by itself since the place that motivated me to be where I am now has one of the best examples of my labors as a part of its film lineup. 

Along with being informed my film made it in the local newspaper had a write up about the festival, other films being featured, and a portion detailing my film and me.

"In the five-minute short feature, “Bottom of a Glass,” Xavier Neal-Burgin uses an endearing puppet to teach that, even after great loss, life is worth living." “Bottom of a Glass’ won best drama at the University of Alabama’s Campus Moviefest 2011,” Jinright said. “The film has also been accepted to the Short Film Corner at the Cannes Film Festival 2011.” Film director Burgin lives in Birmingham and attends the University of Alabama."

If you would like to read the rest of the article check it out here

This has been one of the most overwhelming weeks I've had, but in a positive light. It feels to know that good work can be noticed if you're willing to put in the time. It also fills a void of validation every artist wonders about. 

Will others like my work? 

I feel as if my question has been answered ten-fold. The next step is maintaining and progressing. All of this is amazing, but I cannot allow myself to become complacent with what I've done when there is so much more left to do. 


3 comments:

  1. Well done man, I'm delighted that things are going well for you. And when the money starts rolling in, don't forget my 10%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I appreciate the words from both of you. I'll see what I can do about the 10% one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS