Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kevin McCall

The semester is approaching its end! In a few weeks I'll be finished with my first year as a graduate student at USC's Film Program. I'm still deciding my path for this summer. I need to make sure I'm being productive. As an undergraduate at Alabama, I quickly learned the majority of my education would not be in the classroom. This is not to say Alabama's TCF department didn't teach me. That is far from the truth. My best experiences were outside of class on projects with classmates, colleagues, and professors.

This is why I'm so adamant about productivity. You should always work on projects outside of your education. You will learn volumes. One of the biggest projects I've done since moving to Los Angeles, CA is my work with artist, Kevin McCall.

Kevin McCall

Hip-Hop fans will remember K-Mac as one of the featured artist on Chris Brown's "Dueces" music video. K-Mac was the songwriter as well.

Kevin Lamar McCall Jr. was born on July 25, 1985 in, LA Watts, California. He is the 2nd oldest out of 3 sisters and 1 brother. Kevin affectionately known to friends and family as “K-MAC” was introduced to music at a very young age by his family who noticed Kevin’s desire, talent and interest for music early on. Like many artist Kevin’s love of music stemmed from his time singing in the church choir.   
In his short time as a new songwriter and producer in the industry Kevin, has been fortunate to collaborate with both established and up and coming artist such as: Chris Brown, Keri Hilson, Tank, Trey Songz, Pleasure P, Keisha Cole, Kelly Rowland and Rich Girl just to name a few. As a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc, Kevin has created a name for himself on the college circuit from performances of his original songs and also songs he has written for his fraternity.

I was invited into the studio with K-Mac in between producing the first film of the semester and directing the second one. K-Mac was preparing for a show the next day, and his manager wanted a behind the scenes video to use as promotion. We ended up making two.



It's essential as a filmmaker to constantly produce work outside of short films. Everyone wants to be a director, but few are given the opportunity at the beginning of their career. The capability of producing work you may not be accustomed to is beneficial. This isn't my first music related video or promo, but without these previous experiences, I may not have been prepared to produce work for a high-profile artist. 

While you're reading be sure to check out what else I've been doing!

Featured on Blerd Nation. Read HERE

One of my most popular articles on Tumblr HERE
Read up on my Black History Month Spotlight HERE.

I've been busy in California, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

lens rental


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS