Saturday, October 29, 2011

Not An Isolated Incident

I'm almost back in full swing. October has been an unbelievably stressful month for me. The deadline for UCLA's graduate school application is November 1st. Writing this post can be considered my break time before diving back into my work. There is little time to relax. Every other school I'm applying to has a deadline of December 1st. I'm gearing up to shoot another short film, plus I'm currently working on a short documentary with a few of my classmates.

College has taught me there is a trifecta concerning most student's lives. The three points are education, social life, and love.

If you are doing exceptionally well in two of the categories, you're more than likely suffering in the last one. There is no such thing as being phenomenal in all three. What you consider multitasking I define as doing multiple things very poorly. At the moment, my educational goals and love life are quite prosperous. Unfortunately, I've had very little time to just kick it with my friends.

For most, senior year is considered the final coast. You should've been setting yourself up these past three years to glide effortlessly into the post-graduate lifestyle. I know me. There is never a time where I'm not working. It's the nature of staying above everyone else. Being honest, if I had to choose between friends and advancing towards my goals...I know what I would choose.

Recently, The University of Alabama student body got its feathers ruffled when unknown perpetrators plastered racial slurs on campus buildings. The administration consistently plays events like this as rare occasions on campus, but most students at UA realize racial animosity is a constant enemy. Racist incidents happen on a regular basis on campus. The administration has just become very adept at damage control.

A good majority of students were fed up with the problems, so a protest and march was assembled by university students to condemn the ongoing racial and homosexual slander prevalent on campus.

The protest march was known as "Not An Isolated Incident." I've been far more hands-off around campus because of classes, but I knew this was an event I should capture.

Together We Make a Difference.





Not An Isolated Incident March











Sometimes I'm not absolutely sure if this campus will ever rise out of its past, but it's good to know people are willing to stand up against people who like perpetuate discrimination of any kind.

To view more of the Not An Isolated Incident pictures go to Que The Light's Flickr. Be sure to look up Que The Lights on Twitter.




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! Before long, all of your hard work will pay off! =]

    And thank you for sharing the pics of the "Not An Isolated Incident" with us. Hopefully events like this will help fight the discrimination on your campus. Who knows, it may even create a better atmosphere for the future student body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely hope things get better at Alabama

      Delete
  3. It's gratifying to see student involvement in a fight for justice. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." If feasible join this momentous fight!!!!!! "WE THE PEOPLE," THE 99%!!!!! "When justice is done it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers." The benefits/rewards are ineffable and indelible!!!!!!!!! JWM,III

    ReplyDelete
  4. Racism, alive and well in these United States of America, but it will be eradicated!!!!!!! WE THE PEOPLE, THE 99%!!!!!!!! Julius W. Morris, III, how anonymous is that??????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS