Sunday, July 7, 2013

I'm Alive

I'm moving ahead into my third semester at USC's School of Cinematic Arts this upcoming August. Finishing up my first year was quite an experience. For anyone who reads the blog and has questions on the subject feel free to contact me. 

Along with finishing my first two semesters, the music video I co-produced, DP'd, and edited, "I'm Alive," is available to watch!


The project started with musician, Matt Kabus. Justin Wood, a fellow Alabama alumni, directed. We started the production a year ago during the summer of 2012 in Atlanta. Matt watched one of my earlier demo reels, and devised an eclectic vision to accompany his song. Of course, production led to major revisions in comparison to Justin and Matt's original plan, but the finished product is phenomenal.



I want to direct, but I've realized cinematography has become a mainstay passion culpable to my penchant for stories. Honestly, isn't cinematography just visual storytelling when defined? 

I've received some amazing news on current projects I'll reveal as the summer moves forward, but I'd also like to share the story of a USC Alum whose realized the dream I'm pursuing. Ryan Coogler, Director of Sundance winner, Fruitvale, has been tearing up the festival circuit (and tear ducts) with his telling of the last few hours of Oscar Grant, an Oakland, CA native shot by the police in 2009.

I won't focus on the movie, it speaks for itself.  I'll focus on Coogler, a man who achieved a dream. This director found a story that resonated with his sensibilities, and brought a swath of raw emotion and talent seldom seen. I appreciate his story for one particular reason. He didn't grow up in films. He did not plan to become a director. When his life veered upon this course, he made sure to utilize his opportunities to the fullest. 

No individual's path to finality is identical. No one's success a mirror image. Still, his story gives me hopes that everyone retains the possibility to achieve. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS