Friday, March 4, 2011

I Asked...And Received


Two or three months ago I came across a blog known as Ask and Ye Shall Receive.

Needless to say the individuals running the site caught my attention.

Was it the scathing reviews?












Or the methodical craftsmanship constantly on display as each reviewer thoroughly dismantled blogs bold enough to submit?































Maybe it was on those rare occasions when the reviewers, when sifting through the multitude of Mommy Blogs, Indian pseudo-blog/diaries, and flashing templates of doom, found a blog they genuinely enjoyed. 

















Either way, you must be equally foolish and proud of your work to willingly allow someone who may or may not understand your vantage point the opportunity to completely tear apart your online persona...

Apparently, I am. Also, I'm glad I did.

Reviewer, Scorpio Woperchild had a variety of insights towards making my blog better in terms of technical kinks and layouts, but he also took a fair amount of time breaking Que The Lights down piece by piece.

On a positive note, Scorpio commended my work visual work. Summarized, he pointed out my photography best defines itself when I'm capturing people.








Still, he pointed out I need to reduce the amount of photographs I spread on the site or at least post the best pictures and set up a gallery. I've got a photography gallery set up through flickr now, but I believe he means something I can showcase directly on the site.

He also recommended, as a filmmaker, I should focus more closely on my skills as a cinematographer. He admitted he didn't care for alot of the work I've done save my pure filmwork, but noticed my general technical growth.

On the flip-side, Scorpio did not care for the abundance of my work outside of my short films and photography . He also wasn't particularly fond of the name of the site (or more particularly the small amount of time I take to explain. You can find that in my About the Filmmaker section.)

The biggest problem he talked on was my writing, which it seems I've neglected in comparison to the rest of the site. I should write more and think about my word choice.

Overall I received this-



Honesty at it's best. Criticism is never easy, constructive or not, but it would be arrogant on my part to neglect help from an individual who review's blogs on a regular basis.

It doesn't mean his say is final, but it should not be taken for granted.

So I end this update with this little quip. To read the full review of Que The Lights click HERE


2 comments:

  1. I subscribed to Ask and You Shall Receive a few weeks ago, and was surprised to see you crop up last week. The review they gave you was very solid, and I'm really glad you took some of their advice. :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Nano! I'm a firm believer in constructive criticism. You can't expect to do better if you're not willing to listen to individuals outside of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS