Monday, June 27, 2011

The International Grand Finale


The results are in. I'm proud to say that my 3D Documentary "Portarit of the Storm: Tuscaloosa, AL" won Best 3D Film for Campus Moviefest's International Grand Finale.

Photo Courtesy of Campus Moviefest

Overall, The University of Alabama had a powerful turn-out at the finale. Together, we brought six films. Of the six films three of the these films were in the top twenty five of over seventy films at the film festival.

Of the three films one was nominated for Top 5 in "Best Comedy" and "Portrait of the Storm" won best film in the 3D category.


What made this occasion so phenomenal though, was not the films that won (though all of them were amazing), nor the celebrities and significant industry executives, producers, directors, and writers we met. It was the sheer amount of filmmakers my age that had the same drive, passion, and need to fulfill themselves through film. I found myself among a small community of like-minded individuals who I believe will make a significant impact for years to come.

I'd like to share a small preview of a write-up I'm doing for UA about the occasion in my eyes.


           "...campus Moviefest International Grand Finale was an amazing experience that was tinged with the faint signs of what it would one day be like if any of the individuals present made it to the Oscars. You’re treated as the best of the best. The brightest individuals from a culmination of film-work toiled over for an entire year. It’s an unbelievable high until you realize every person in the room has the same aspirations as you and some far more talented....
            I remember when they began the routine introductory speech for my category. My palms got sweaty, my legs shaked, and I could feel my heart pounding on the inside of my chest. It was literally all the cheesy ideas you see in sappy movies about making movies and bad Golden Globe or Oscar Award speeches. When my name was called for Best 3D Film a weight lifted off my shoulders and another rested atop my head when I realized I had to give a speech. I managed to trudge forward and give an outstanding speech on the devastation of the Tuscaloosa Tornado and the necessity of keeping our plight in the limelight of the media’s eyes.
        As I walked backed to my seat I honestly realized I won something significant to my heart. It felt like a validation of my work. My first film “Bottom of a Glass” didn’t win, but without it, I would have never worked on the 3D film which allowed me to move on to the next level. 
            After the awards ceremony there was an abundance of congratulations, handshakes, and exchanging of business cards. Overall, the feeling of validity through winning draws people towards you, whether it is out of genuine interest or their need to keep in contact with those who have garnered even a small measure of success.
            I got back to my room and counted up the amount of business cards I received. I had given out over 200 and received around 140. The next day I emailed everyone to keep in touch as well as join a networking group I created.
            This entire event felt like a microcosm of the industry. A smaller version where I (or any of us) could be if we are successful. I may not meet everyone at the top and I may not even make it to the top, but these were the people I would later shake hands with if I did. I was introduced to the industry in a sterile environment, but one that gave me a good glimpse of what it means to win and lose at the same time..."


The experience has been amazing and humbling at the same time. My 3D film did well, but I can only imagine how well "Bottom of a Glass" could have been if I had put more time and effort into it. This only motivates me to do even better next year when Campus Moviefest comes around. At the same time, I cannot allow myself to get comfortable. I don't know the progenitor of this quote but I believe it holds true to me and any filmmaker.

"You are only as good as the last thing you made. No one cares beyond that." 

There is more to be done and I'll have time to relax when I'm gone from this world. 

Also, be sure to check out check out The Emerging Magazine Feature highlighting my win at the first ever 3D Student Film Festival. 




7 comments:

  1. Wow..congrats! I really want to see your film! And the others..I bet they are great..and that it was a fantastic experience

    xx
    Andy
    The Black Label

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Hope to see you film one day. :) 3D is the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Emerging Magazine with your readers. Our writers seek out stories of human creative and achievement in the vast majority of stories or news submitted.

    Congratulations to you!

    If you ever consider entering a zombie or horror related film short into a film festival. Consider our event, Zombie Voodoo Fest 2012: http://emergingmagazine.com/group/citiesaliveproductionszombievoodoofest

    Meanwhile, keep pushing the envelop and tackle the world head on!

    Stefan du Bois
    COO/Editor In Chief
    Emerging Magazine, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats and thanks for visiting my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I'm so glad you won such amazing prize!
    I hope to see your work at the Oscars one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heyy thanks for visiting my blog! Congratulations on winning - that's a great accomplishment :) Wanna follow one another and support each other's blogs?

    http://carrymel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone for the support. I'm looking forward to the next post when I can share all of the publicity that popped up because of this!

    - Xay B.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS