Friday, June 3, 2011

Portrait of The Storm: Tuscaloosa, AL

It's been over a month since the city of Tuscaloosa was hit by an EF4 tornado that tore across the landscape. The lives and futures of many found themselves in a standstill paralyzed from the physical and mental shock induced by the events of April 27, 2011.

I was lucky enough to only see my current work brought to an abrupt end during that period and nothing else. Thankfully, when one opportunity closes another usually opens.

My opportunity was being given the chance to document the lives of the individuals who survived the tornado in my own way.

This is the final product, a five minute short documentary shot in 3D. For the past month I've been working on this project. I went in and out of the remains of houses documenting what humanity is left in their remnants. I  jumped back and forth between storm chasers looking for those willing to share their personal footage with me.  I recorded testimonial while working with musical composer, Sumerlin Brandon, to bring together a score that captures the intense melancholy of Tuscaloosa's current situation.

Overall, I'm happy with my work and I hope the time placed into finishing this project can be felt by anyone who watches. You can watch this in 3D as well, but I'll provide the 2D version on the blog.




* For best viewing presentation change dimensions to 1080p

Director: Xavier Burgin
Storm Footage: Ryan Chandler, Jason Rosolowski, and Nate Hughlett
Photography: Xavier Burgin
Testimonial: Katie Brantley, Johnny Hanna, and Trey Moe
Musical Composition: Sumerlin Brandon



6 comments:

  1. wow..strong images..I am always amazed by the power of nature..it reminds us..that the world is not really ours..she is just letting us live in it..my heart goes to all the poeple of Tuscaloosa

    xx
    Andy
    The Black Label

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Xavier. I'm glad you have provided a 2D version too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By every image, by every moment of the storm you showed here I felt so anguished. I mean, I don't know what would I do if I had to go through a tragedy like this. I don't know if I'd be strong enough or brave enough to get over it. I remember I spent part of my childhood watching this movie, Twister, and I kind of was obsessed by it, by the strenght and the destruction that a natural disaster can bring.
    Your documentary shows me something, a reality of people nowadays that needs to be understood by people all around the world, so that we can empathic and more humane.

    Ber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're super talented Xay. Keep it doing what you're doing and you will go far, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was amazing... I loved the testimonials. I did a post on this video!
    I will definitely keep everyone in my prayers.

    ~Sherine
    Check out my blog, comment, and follow if you like!
    Confessions Of A City Girl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out the time to check and comment on my blog. I love to hear feedback so if you leave a message be checking back for my reply!

©2010-2011 QUETHELIGHTS| DESIGNED BY JAY DAVIS